The best elevated dog beds
- Amazon Basics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed — Our most affordable pick
- K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot Elevated Dog Bed — Great for indoor and outdoor use
- K&H Pet Products Original Bolster Pet Cot Elevated Pet Bed — Equipped with bolsters
- Kuranda Walnut PVC Chewproof Dog Bed — Durable, chew-proof option
- Chew Proof Armored Elevated Dog Bed — The premium dog bed pick
- Pet Gear Lifestyle Pet Cot Elevated Bed — Foldable for on-the-go
- Best Choice Products Raised Mesh Cot Cooling Dog Bed — Praised for its built-in tent
- Furhaven Mid-Century Modern Elevated Bed Frame — For the design-savvy
Our favorite elevated dog beds, reviewed
Our most affordable pick
Amazon Basics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed
What we love: Amazon Basics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed is super easy to assemble and extremely durable. We love that this bed is suitable for large dogs or multiple pups. The cooling mesh material is great for the outdoors, and when it comes to cleaning, all you’ll need to do is wash it with a bit of water. Given its long-lasting durability, the price is ideal.
What customers say: With a 4.6-star rating on Amazon, this bed is a fan-favorite among large doggy owners. Dogs up to 125 pounds, like golden retrievers and Great Danes, stay comfortable throughout the night.
Sizes: This bed comes in five different sizes from extra-small to extra-large.
Ground clearance: 7 inches.
Great for indoor and outdoor use
K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot Elevated Dog Bed
What we love: K&H, the makers of the Original Pet Cot Elevated Dog Bed focus on joint relief and durable construction. We love that the bed is seamless to assemble. You can even buy replacement covers for any season, memory foam mattresses, and an attachable canopy for extra shade in the summer months.
What customers say: With 4.7 stars on Amazon, reviewers say their dogs wanted to jump onto the bed immediately. The mesh and stitching on the bed are strong and durable. Customers love the variety of padding and covers available to match your home and taste.
Sizes: This bed comes in four different sizes from small to extra-large.
Ground clearance: 9 inches.
Equipped with bolsters for added comfort
K&H Pet Products Original Bolster Pet Cot Elevated Pet Bed
What we love: Another product from the K&H line, the Original Bolster Pet Cot Elevated Pet Bed comes with a removable chocolate polyester bolster. The mesh covering is great for all seasons, and the bed is easy to clean and waterproof. You can also buy the brand’s range of other add-ons.
What customers say: With 4.7 stars on Amazon, reviewers say their dogs love to rest their heads against the comfy bolster, which is firm and doesn’t sink or wear with use. When a dog has an accident or the bed gets dirty, the fabric evaporates the stain easily, leaving no odors behind. And, the pleasant chocolate brown color of the bed matches a variety of rooms and styles.
Sizes: This bed comes in three sizes from small to extra-large.
Ground clearance: 7 inches.
Durable, chew-proof option
Kuranda Walnut PVC Chewproof Dog Bed
What we love: With a lovely walnut-colored frame, the Kuranda Walnut PVC Chewproof Dog Bed fits right in with a living room or bedroom. The orthopedic material of the bed is extremely durable and comes in four different colors. We love its traction, which makes it easy for dogs to get on and off. It’s important to note that this bed is only suitable for indoor use.
What customers say: Reviewers give this product a 4.6-star rating and were particularly blown away by the product’s durability. Dog owners with “chewers” mention never before finding the ideal bed for their dogs until this product came along. They also mention the ability to throw the pads into the washing machine weekly without damage.
Sizes: This bed comes in six sizes from mini to extra-large.
Ground clearance: 7 inches.
The premium dog bed pick
Chew Proof Armored Elevated Dog Bed
What we love: Chew Proof Armored Elevated Dog Bed is a premium elevated dog bed — and that’s reflected in the price. Although it’s not cheap, the bed’s armored frame is heavy-duty, 100% recyclable, and engineered with the most advanced ripstop and chew-proof materials. The bed resists chew, dirt, hair, mildew, you name it. There’s even a 120-day warranty.
What customers say: Reviewers say this orthopedic dog bed is well worth the price. It’s suitable for puppies and old dogs alike. Dogs with ailments and in recovery post-surgery seem to have comfortable night sleeps.
Sizes: This bed comes in five sizes from small to giant.
Ground clearance: 5 inches.
Foldable for on-the-go
Pet Gear Lifestyle Pet Cot Elevated Bed
What we love: We love the functionality of the Pet Gear Lifestyle Pet Cot Elevated Bed. It’s lightweight and folds for easy transport in a car or on a train or plane. It comes in a pleasant lake blue color, has a sturdy steel base, and a rubber fabric that makes it especially easy to clean.
What customers say: Customers give this bed a 4.7 star Amazon rating and rave about its portability. It’s lightweight and easy to bring on the road. The pads are useful to place under the feet which can skid indoors.
Sizes: This bed comes in one size.
Ground clearance: 4.4 inches.
Praised for its built-in tent
Best Choice Products Raised Mesh Cot Cooling Dog Bed
What we love: Best Choice Products Raised Mesh Cot Cooling Dog Bed comes with all the perks. Along with the elevated bed, you’ll receive a protective canopy and a travel bag. Think of it as a dog hammock. The bed’s material is breathable and overall, the bed is lightweight even given its extra accessories. This is by far the bed on our list with the most ground clearance, making it great for those heavier pups who tend to weigh fabric down. Even with all the bells and whistles, it’s very affordable given its quality and versatility.
What customers say: With over 2,000 ratings on Amazon, reviewers remark that this product has been a game-changer for their pup in the summer months. If dogs rest under the canopy they will have fewer sun troubles like hot spots.
Sizes: This bed comes in three sizes from 30 inches to 48 inches.
Ground clearance: 28 inches.
For the design-savvy
Furhaven Mid-Century Modern Elevated Bed Frame
What we love: While this bed is pricey, it’s by far the classiest. The Furhaven Mid-Century Modern Elevated Bed Frame is compatible with a variety of different dog cushioning and padding from a sofa style to a chaise style. It has a mid-century modern design and a bamboo slat base with a wood veneer that is classic, stylish, and can be cleaned when necessary. It comes pre-drilled and pre-assembled.
What customers say: This product is a dog parent-favorite on Amazon. The frame comes in multiple dimensions and color options so customers can decide on which style is best for their pup (and their home).
Sizes: This bed comes in four sizes from small to jumbo.
Ground clearance: 10 inches.
What is an elevated dog bed?
Dogs can benefit from a luxury sleeping experience too. Elevated dog beds are exactly as they sound. Think of these beds as dog cots. They are beds for dogs typically built on four legs, with a taut fabric top as opposed to a cushion. By keeping your dog off the ground while they sleep, their body and comfort levels will benefit.
The benefits of elevated dog beds
There’s a range of benefits, both practical and aesthetic, when choosing an elevated bed for your pup. Here are a few reasons why our vets loved elevated dog beds:
- Decreases pain. While the ground may look comfortable for your pup and some dogs love the cold floor, it actually has significant disadvantages. It puts pressure on their joints. Elevated beds keep them off the hard floor, protecting pressure points.
- Regulates temperature. During cooler months, the floor can be cold. During hotter months, the air can be stuffy. By keeping your dog elevated, airflow will circulate beneath them with a cooling effect in the summer and a warming effect in the winter.
- Easier on older or injured pups. Older pups or those suffering from arthritis might have a hard time getting up and down. It’s actually much easier for them to step on or off a slightly elevated surface.
- Great for outdoor use. If your dog likes to lounge outside, we all know of the mess that they come back into the house with. Elevated beds keep your dog clean and off of the dirt when resting in the backyard. Most elevated beds are also easy to clean due to their material.
- Looks nice in your home. Let’s face it, cushions on the floor just don’t look that great in a home. If you’re a design aficionado, there’s probably an elevated bed that will look great in your living room.
👉If you live in any extreme climate, elevated beds are worth special consideration. The elements can cause a lot of discomfort and even long-term health issues for your pup.
How to pick the right raised dog bed
There are a few things to pay attention to when picking the elevated bed that’s best for your pup:
- Size. This one seems obvious, but your dog should be able to comfortably curl up or splay out on the bed without their legs hanging off.
- Fabric. Mesh or any tightly woven materials prevent snagging. These breathable fabrics also tend to be easy to clean.
- Height. Make sure your dog can step off and on the bed easily. They shouldn’t need to jump.
- Materials. The bed should be sturdy enough to hold the weight of your pup. Steel frames are especially well built. Consider a water-resistant bed if you want to use it as an outdoor dog bed.
- Portability. Depending on your needs, you might be looking for a bed that folds up for on-the-go use.
Teaching your pooch to use the elevated bed
Replacing your dog’s bed can cause them a bit of confusion. First, it may help to put the new bed in the same spot as the old bed. Try placing any treats, toys, or blankets with familiar smells on the elevated bed to help them get used to it. Once their scent is on the bed, they’ll begin to get comfortable in their new sleeping setup. Your scent may also be useful. Put one of your sweaters or scarves on the bed.
👉Puppies can be extra stubborn when it comes to learning how to use their new bed. There are a few tips and tricks to have up your sleeve.
Dos and don’ts
You should always follow some extra precautions when using an elevated dog bed:
🚨 If your dog falls off their new bed and appears to be injured, visit the vet.
There are a few things to look out for and consider when investing in your dog’s elevated bed:
- Don’t choose a bed with holes at the corners. Dogs can get their paws stuck!
- Don’t put more weight on the bed than it can handle.
👉 Be sure to always check the weight capacity in the instructions manual that comes with the bed.
Elevated beds are worth it
It’s true that elevated beds can be more expensive than normal cushions and dog beds. Elevated beds provide the temperature control and joint support that a floor cushion doesn’t. But don’t let the cost deter you — there are plenty of affordable options that are well worth swapping in for a floor bed in order to keep your furry friend cool and comfortable.